It’s Important For Plumbing Maintenance
- Your homeowner’s insurance usually covers household water damage if the damage is sudden and accidental, like damage caused by burst pipes, but it does not cover damage covered by flood insurance, rising water from outside; or damage caused over time by lack of maintenance to the pipes.
- The water damage claim can be a red flag to insurers as well as to future homebuyers. This can signal a possibility of a repeating of water claims to your insurance office. You are much wiser to maintain a home for water issues than face the risks of reduced home marketability and increased insurance costs.
How To Identify Water Problems
- First you need to look at your water bill, and by comparing monthly usage figures, you may get tipped off to a small leak before it becomes a huge issue.
- You can use a water pressure gauge to determine whether your household water pressure is set too high. The ideal household water pressure is 60-80 pounds per square inch. (psi), but a lot of homes are set at higher pressures. To determine water pressure, Attach the gauge to an outdoor faucet and turn the water on full.
- Just as you change the batteries in your smoke detector each year, you should take time to inspect under sinks and toilets and bathroom sinks, icemakers and water softeners and around washing machines. You need to inspect pipes and fittings every year, unless you suspect a leak, then of course then.